Sunday 8 March 2015

NLTTA 10 mile time trial plus trials of Bolton Clarion ten entrants.

NLTTA 10 mile time trial plus trials of Bolton Clarion ten entrants.

With over 150 entrants it was good to see ten Bolton clarion members on the start sheet for the NLTTA ten mile event plus a goodly number from our sister club Bury clarion.
On the day the forecast was for mild weather and dry, a real bonus after the preceding wet week, however, the wind was set to be a problem for the week kneed among us. A disappointing edge on the day was the non appearance of three of our number, two due to family commitments and one stuck in a traffic jam. Our club was not alone with abstentions a good many more also failed to take advantage of a good early start to the season, a plus for the NLTTA was entry fees had been paid up front, good for the finances. 
The early starters, from 2pm, had grey skies and a healthy tail wind up the A6, just how healthy was shown on my computer, my ancient 77 year old legs got me to the first turn with a top speed on the way of 29.5 mph. with not one downhill to be seen.
The turn into the now unhealthy strong wind brought me down to earth with a bang, having made ground on my minute man Dave Bisset my efforts into the wind had an equalising of our joint speed.
I constantly glanced at my heart rate monitor, my decision to target a constant 173 beats per minute for the distance was blown away with the wind, afer what I considered a steady start it was reading 180 plus, crickey, either I am fitter than I thought or I was about to blow up in style. Up the heart rate went, 182, throttle back, up again 184, and this was on the easy tail wind stretch. Now don't get the wrong idea but the sight of Dave Bisset ahead had my heart racing even faster and I was gaining fast. Slowing down a bit was not an option really but just as I passed Dave at the turn into the wind slowing down became a reality, the gallop had now become a grovel. The turn at St. Michaels brought no relief from the winds that seemed to come from all directions but the rear and to my dismay, Dave Bisset whom I thought to have been dispatched suddenly shot past at speed. If I thought I was working at my maximum heart rate I had another think coming.
Working my way back up to Dave brought a new maximum reading on the heart rate monitor, as he faltered a little in a few gusts of wind I went for it, the renewed effort brought up figures that really should have brought about my demise, 188, good grief. Ever the gentleman, Dave ended the chase allowing the sage a morale boosting last couple of miles.
Just before the finish Mark Ainsworth shot past, what a ride he was having, caught me for two minutes, the really big surprise was I expected William Cocker to catch me as he was only a minute behind at the start.
Chris Roach was resting by a gateway at the finish after giving his all but with a big smile on his face.
As we slowly made our way back to the headquarters out came the sun, suddenly everything became rosy again, job done, great relief, time to tot up the numbers.
As we were almost the first riders off and the first to finish, there was lots of choice at the cake and biscuit table but most of all I wanted a tea, that glorious most refreshing beverage, tea. I was spent and despite the wonderful spread of sandwiches and cake I had no appetite, two 'nice' biscuits, a cup of tea and I was a happy man.
A time trial is a man against his own watch, his time is his own, his only enemy is time. After the event we all look back and take from the event what we will, satisfaction, enjoyment in a masochistic way, but most of all the knowledge that this is the first event of the year and it's all to play for in the coming months of hopefully a nice summer.  
A big thank you to guys and gals who organised the event so well, not forgetting the marshals who volunteered to stand on drafty corners for two and a half hours, cheers from Bolton clarion cycling club. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment