Saturday 13 April 2013

A ride round Rivington and an out of body experience.

An eventful ride on a low to medium fixed gear round Rivi today, suffering a bad throat and chest I ventured out on an easy recovery ride with the emphasis on 'easy'.
Rolling along easily with a strong wind behind I discarded all thoughts of the return ride into the same strong wind.
As I bowled along to Horwich a group of three fast moving cyclists were headed toward me, with a fantastic Bolton clarion jersey prominent on the front it had to be Dave Owen's Saturday ride, with a cheery shout and wave we passed without pause, gosh I wish I was that fit. (and young)
On the lane up to Rivington I saw a cyclist walking toward me, all the gear, smart clothing, looked like a neo pro almost. On asking what the problem was, a puncture was the response, the next bit I found hard to believe. I offered a spare tube to help him out, an offer he declined, 'I have a spare one'  he replied but he was unsure about removing the back wheel and all it entailed, he thanked me for the offer and my directive to the local bike shop, the Green Machine in Horwich. Most of us have heard the saying, 'all the gear, no idea' but this was hard to believe.
I carried on and mused on cyclists venturing out thinking punctures were a thing of the past, ah well.
A brief stop at the lower Barn for a bit of clarion spotting, but non on display I carried on to the new favourite watering hole, the Bowling Green cafe.
A number of bikes parked outside indicated the presence of, yep, cyclists. I immediately recognised one, a rather nice looking Lemond, part titanium, part carbon, it could only belong to Pete Wilson. Though he hasn't paid his subs this year I still count him as a member, another eight months yet to prise them out of him.
Three other ex members were present, one a member of the phoney clarion 1895, formed in 2008, the usual banter about fraud and misrepresentation took place before he left, no names, no writs.
Leaving the cafe I had a mental idea, for the first time in years I would ride Sheephouse Lane on my fix geared steed, I must be mad, however made the irreversible decision and with a strong wind at my back, I began the climb. It was my intention to ride to the first junction then take the left toward the old lead mines but first I had to get there.
My pace reduced to slower than slow as I got into the climb while my breathing got faster and faster, I must be mad, I've got a chest infection. I doggedly carried on, thoughts of a heart attack transcended the chest infection as my heart seemed to be battering my eardrums. The junction arrived and saved me, a sort of 'out of body experience', a bit of level then a downhill swoop worked wonders in terms of recovery, the next rise was taken at a good pace, ok it was only a slight rise but I felt good about it.
This section of road is actually a part of the course used in the Commonwealth Games but I am going in the opposite direction, much easier I thought. A nice swoop down to the reservoirs then down the Street and I am back in Rivington and thankful for the toilets at the barn, relief at last.
Despite now riding into the wind the lane with it's trees and hedgerows give some shelter so the going is still easy.
As I head down the main road I spot Dave Hession on his way up to Rivington, we stop and have a real good chat and exchange the latest news, some good, some not so good. We part company and I continue the few miles to home. Despite the near death climb of Sheephouse Lane I arrive home non the worse for wear and manage the short steep climb up to my house with a flourish. A nice ride that I feel was a worthwhile outing, Rivington lanes have so much to offer.

2 comments:

  1. That Saturday Group!!
    reading the write ups makes me feel my age.return from Lythanm in that wind ayt 18mph. Well what can I say except I'm jealous

    ReplyDelete