Wednesday 17 April 2013

Surprising find

Surprising find.

Whilst looking for something protective, a small box or suchlike, I chanced on a suitable one among some of Amy's old stuff. On opening it I found a number of National Clarion Meet ribbons, most of which were of recent history, but among them I found an old ribbon dated 1923 celebrating the meet at Buxton. 
I began to study it it closely and was amazed at the detail on the small ribbon. Name of manufacturer, the usual Fellowship is life, un fellowship is death but I was intrigued by the main depiction. Illustrated are, a flagon of ale,(presumed) two glasses, two clay pipes, a couple of sandwiches,(again presumed) and in bottom left what would seem to be a dice, I doubt it would be a sugar cube. Perhaps it was to signify who was getting the next round in. In a way it would seem to illustrate a social way of life for cyclists of the day, a more relaxed attitude to cycling where socializing is perhaps first and foremost as opposed to today's hectic emphasis on training hard even for what we used to take for granted, a good old fashioned social club run. 
I hope you find the ribbon as interesting as I did, cheers.
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Tony, while Irene has been in hospital, I've been rooting through old photos, I found some of me in a Junior road race from 1953. I was off the back then!

    ReplyDelete