Wednesday 8 May 2013

Bank Holiday delight


Bank Holiday Relaxation

Another Bank Holiday crept up on me without me knowing, how so? Well after a month of coughing, visits to the doc’s, and drowning in self pity I had little time to focus on holiday weekends.
The intrusion of a spell of welcome summer weather lifted my spirits, the Bank holiday Monday being the first truly fine day for us hardy northerners. Such an opportunity to enjoy it could not be missed.
Still nursing my, almost beloved by now, chest infection, I planned a trip over to Higher Walton and the Bon Appetit cafe there. My route would be nice, almost traffic free, and picturesque.
Into Lever Park Avenue and I am inspired by the area we, as local cyclists take for granted, an area of natural beauty, or as Ordnance Survey would abbreviate, AONB. 
With a light summer breeze and the sun on my back I drift through Rivington, past the Barn and the village green, down to the reservoirs followed by a right turn into The Street at Horrobin Cottage. It’s is very quiet today, who would think it was a Bank Holiday with just a couple of dog walkers on this very attractive lane by the reservoir.
Out of The Street and onto Back Lane, again it’s quiet, this time just a couple of horse riders to divert my attention from the sheer enjoyment of the day, to which was added the pleasure of being able to dress in short sleeve top and shorts, both lycra of course.
I enjoy the rapid swoop and shade as I pass under the mighty motorway bridge feathering my front brake as I synchronise my rapid moving legs with the fixed gear of the rear wheel. I flash back into the sun emerging from the shadows of the bridge, momentum carrying me up the slight rise to the T junction at Limbrick.
At the top of the hill that comes out of Cowling the sign indicating the canal side route to Botany Bay is there and now is a designated cycle route.
The canal path is a bit busier than any part of my route up to now, dog walkers, walkers and the odd cyclist or two, one of whom made my day.
I had just reached the bridge before Botany Bay and slowed as the cyclist on a mountain bike in front of me dismounted and began to kick his back wheel furiously, once, twice, three times before wheeling his bike forward under the bridge. Naturally I viewed with some amusement and passed aside to the guy, ‘if it won’t move, hit it’, he smiled and accepted my offer of assistance. All that was wrong was a loose wheel nut on the drive side of his back wheel. A simple job for the spanner that I carry for the same reason, tightening loose nuts. The guy was just out for a morning spin enjoying the beautiful morn, no tools, no pump, no spares, what could possibly go wrong on a day like today. I smiled inwardly, a good deed done, a good deed appreciated loudly.
Nearing the Top Lock pub at Wheelton the towpath was considerably busier as walkers made their way to the popular spot, no doubt anticipating a shandy or two, too early for me as I left the canal at this point and continued to Top O’th Lane.
It’s a bit of a pull on fixed gear up to Top O’th Lane along the shady tree lined lane that comes out by the side of a noisy motorway but, I manage quite well, slow but sure.
After Brindle I can look forward to a nice long downhill through Gregson Lane, summer breezes blowing on what used to be flowing locks of hair, my bald head now being a useful aero attachment. This is the life, bowling along, legs a blur, with the front brake feathered occasionally for control, blue sky and a warm sun on my back as I speed along heading to a pot of tea and a bacon barm.
A look at my heart rate monitor tells me I’m still alive and kicking and after a break of 45 minutes it tells me I’m ready to go, again, but after deciding I’m leaving via the steep hill, short but sharp up to Bamber Bridge I’m not too sure. I hate setting off after a break at any time but when there’s a hill straight away I dread it.
The weather is still warm and fine and as I do not intend to kill myself on the way home I will continue to enjoy the ride, even the chest infection is behaving, very little coughing up to now, perhaps it is enjoying the summer breeze as well.
Eventually I am on the well trodden A6 accompanied by years and years of memories, times as a young lad hanging on the back of a group, times when I could not, and times when I have been the strongest on the ride, the A6 never fails to stir the old grey cells.
I reach the top of the hill by the Mormon church and take another break, a nice stone flag at a gate serves nicely as a comfortable seat in the sun. I sit quietly and idly observe the passing traffic, quite light really, unlike the adjacent motorway where from a bridge I saw the usual Bank Holiday scene of hundreds of cars crawling along with drivers still convinced they were out for a nice drive. Occasionally a lycra clad lad or two would pass looking for all the world like they were training, suffering they may have been, but not as much as the drivers stuck on the motorway.
 Two gels and a few long swigs from my bottle and I am ready for the easy drop into Chorley, opting to take the ‘old A6’ instead of the new whacky race track that is supposedly a town bypass, a real pleasure and stress reliever after the short main road stretch. Easing down into the town centre I am struck by the central reservation overflowing with tulips, a considerable attraction to the old road as it reaches the park opening to Astley Hall.
Leaving Chorley behind I have a feeling I’m almost home, not far to go now and the long drags up to Adlington and the Millstone pub are hardly a distraction as I continue to ride easily and slowly.
As ride beside the reservoir I reflect how few cyclists I have seen, perhaps eight or nine at the most all day. An elderly couple leisurely making their way to a canal side picnic spot, a mountain biker getting a kick out of his morning ride, two or three gliding past the cafe as I enjoyed my lunch and the couple of boy racers shooting past the Mormon church while I rested up. Cycling may well be on the up again but today I’m wondering where they all where.
I arrive home happy with the short ride I’ve done but as I relax with a drink, tea of course, the cough returns, ah well at least I had respite during the ride so it must have done me good.

No comments:

Post a Comment