Wednesday 29 May 2013

Oh Woe is Me

Forget about Wednesday being named after Wodin, today was all about 'Woe' Getting ready for the ride out, door locked, leg over then, woah! Polar heart rate monitor not working, was, but then it wasn't. Park bike and nip in to change the battery, simple eh, not so, two batteries later no joy. Right I have one on the turbo trainer, I'll use that, more fiddling but hey, we're off. All's well until Leyland, back wheel puncture, glad I'm on fixed, no gears to mess with. Puncture sorted I'm off next through Croston, swanning along nice and easy on the rise to Wrightington and have a brief stop on a bench for a drink. Funny, front tyre seems a bit soft, pump it up, carry on with the drink and play with the gps watch to see what time it is, after pressing a couple of buttons it gives me a blank look, jeeze I don't believe it. Of course I at least know where I am, only use the gps to record ride, distance speed etc. Off again then just as I get out the saddle up a hill into Coppull I feel the front rim touch tarmac, oh woe is me, another puncture. Thankful I carry about four spare innertubes the repair is effected, and I'm off again. I muse on the punctures as I ride, the tyres are in good condition and the roads have been dry, perhaps the bits of flint have been in a while and have only just worked through, but front and back seems a coincidence. My next bit of woe comes shortly after the second repair, I'm bowling along nicely at a brisk cadence when from behind at great speed comes a young lady, knapsack on her back, (valderee valderei) and pushing a huge hear. I resist the temptation to take up the chase, I wouldn't have caught her anyway and content myself with the excuse my chest infection has destroyed any fitness I may have had, I am of course in recovery mode, I'm not having a good day. One thing is in my favour though, a brisk breeze has gained strength and it is situated nicely behind me. As I reach the reservoir before Horwich my spirits are lifted, the youg lady is at the side of the road and she has blown, and not a tyre, I made sure of that and carried on. On reaching home a pot of tea and a jam butty later I check the gps watch to see what is recorded, it seems it just had a flat battery, if it fails again it will join the pulse monitor in the bin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment