Tuesday 25 June 2013

Deflation, inflation.

Just another circuit ride?

Today I got back on my bike after nearly a week of sloth, the weather has improved greatly, a ride on my twenty six mile circuit will be just fine. Strap on the heart rate monitor, select my fixed wheel steed for the ride and away we go.
Usually the highlight of my circuit is a bit in the middle where a short steep hill raises my heart rate from zero to infinity in a mere ten revolutions with pedal revs going rapidly in the opposite direction to a point of, ‘yo-o heave-ho-o’. I gauge my fitness here, if I fall off, I’m useless, if I manage to crawl from bottom to top it’s success, riding up in a controlled manner, boy I’m flying. The latter bit does not occur very often.
So what was different today, well a lot actually. I usually start quietly, nice and steady, if I am feeling a bit stiff or jaded then my condition dictates the ride, today was going to be an easy day. Oh the best laid plans, etc etc.
A glance over my shoulder when approaching a parked car told me I was about to be gobbled up by a fast approaching cyclist, I hate it when they sneak up on you and pass at speed but I accepted that was going to happen.
I was being attacked by a young lady, she passed me with gusto and was clearly enjoying the taking of a scalp, even if there was only a few hairs on it.
Inevitably my rate of progress increased, a challenge is a challenge and this one was a rather attractive one. A set of traffic lights on red gave me the chance to even things up a little, and the drag beyond allowed me to bring the advantage of a low fixed gear into play. A bit of faffing with gear selection gave me the chance I was looking for and shot passed the young lady. Cresting the hill I turned into Lever Park Avenue and a quick glance over my shoulder told me the lady was for turning, and going my way.
She caught me again and as she swept past I chided her a little informing her she had removed me rudely from my comfort zone, the response was a beaming smile. I remained out of my comfort zone, the lady was raising my heart rate rapidly as she began to try to remove me from her back wheel, it’s a long while since a young lady raised my heart rate almost to maximum. Nearing Rivingto Barn I was beginning to hope she was meeting someone there but as we swept past it was obvious she wasn’t and was showing no sign of slowing down either.
At Rivington  Green she indicated right for Sheephouses Lane, ‘I’m glad you are turning right’ I said, ‘ I’m going straight on’ again a beaming smile was the response, she didn’t know how glad I was actually. That pace going up the hill the other side of the reservoirs would have seen me in bits.
Well, the excitement over, pulse monitor reading nearly normal again I settled into my easy going routine with little to look at other than the tarmac and occasional car bumper but thankful of the greenery of the back lanes to Chorley.
My route takes in back streets in a convoluted fashion eventually emerging on the main road to Coppull, it was here that my bike or me began to feel wobbly, a queer sensation that forced me to stop and investigate the cause. I got my leg over the crossbar to dismount so it wasn’t me feeling wobbly, front wheel ok, no loose spokes on the rear, but wait a minute, what’s that big bump on the tyre. The bump turned out to be about three in number, the carcass of the tyre was shredding and brasting apart, not too far from the dreaded almighty bang of an exploding tyre. Over enthusiastic inflation with a track pump on a tired tyre was bringing the tyres life to a violent demise.
First aid was release pressure before a quick search of the saddle pack, have I a spare folding tyre in there, no was the answer to that. Typical, of the three bikes I use most the two with spare folding tyres are back home in the garage.
Think! Ah yes there’s a local bike shop in the town centre, a mere half mile or so away. Back on the bike I slowly meander along fearful of the dreaded bang at any moment but eventually gain the bike shop. Now I often advise use of your local bike shop but unfortunately I am more than twelve miles from Geoff Smith’s shop but very glad that ther is one serving the Chorley district.
Entering the bike shop I am assisted in tyre selection by the proprietor, size, section etc are discussed, Paul Hackin recommends ‘Gatorskins’ so I opt for the one and only tyre on the rack that fits my requirement, a ‘Gatorskin’.
Now I have to purchase a new tyre, definitely not on my training schedule, but needs must and once sorted I change the tyre. Here is where a ‘proper’ local bike shop is recognised, attention to the customer. The guy comes out with a track pump as soon as I am ready for inflation and duly pumps up the tyre for me, he had previously enquired if I needed tools, and in no time at all I am fitting the wheel back in. As I finish chain tensioning, remember I’m on fixed gear, the shop owner hands me a hand cleansing sheet, now how good is that, if you’re ever stuck for bike stuff or service near Chorley head for Rivington Cycles for friendly and knowledgeable service on the main street, town centre.
Wow I’m having a great day, much better than the regular mundane, save for that pig of a hill, training ride.
I now carry on with my ride but due to the unforeseen delay I now head for Adlington and pick up my route again that takes me back to Rivington.
A final amusing encounter, boy it’s all happening today, occurs climbing the long drag up Babylon Lane. A cyclist just ahead of me also turns for Babylon Lane and the distance between us is fairly constant as we each tackle the climb in at a tempo suitable for the gear we are pushing. Part way up the guy in front glances over his shoulder and is now aware he has company and his cadence notably quickens, in response so does mine, the distance between us remains the same. On reaching the top and crossing the motorway bridge the cyclist does something strange, he empties his water bottle. Now I’ve seen the pros get rid of their bottles prior to a sprint, perhaps he’s a semi pro who can’t afford to throw bottles away, nevertheless a strange event.
On the drop back down to the reservoirs at Rivington it was no contest, my fastest cadence on a low fixed gear was no match for a big geared downhill sprint and he disappeared from view.
The rest of the ride home now was at the gentle pace I set out at, the only difference being I was a few quid lighter and the new back tyre being a 23 section instead of the comfy 25 section Michelin Dynamic, certainly let me be more aware of bumps in the road. An eventful ride, and an enjoyable ride that wasn’t even deflated by a worn out tyre. Happy Cycling.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment